Cabbage Roll Casserole
Love cabbage rolls, but hate the work involved. This recipe is for you!
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, chicken or beef You can also use 1 block of firm tofu, crumbled. I've also used cauliflower that has been crumbled in a food processor for additional texture.
- .5 head cabbage, cut into 1" strips
- 3 cup collard greens, cut into 2" strips
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- t tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes, optional
- 1/4 tsp thyme
Pre-heat oven to 350F
In a skillet over medium heat, with a little water, brown the ground turkey. Drain the liquid and set aside
Stove top over medium heat, in the pot that you are going to bake in, add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onions. Allow to cook for a couple minutes until onions are soft.
Add the garlic, salt, pepper, paprika, and chili flakes to the mixture and stir.
Add peppers, celery and carrots and cook for another couple minutes
Add 1 cup broth, 1-2 cups water and tomatoes followed by rice and lentils and dried thyme. Stir well.
Add cut cabbage, collards and stir again.
Cover dish and move to oven and cook at 350F for 45-90 mins, stirring occasionally. You may need to add a bit more water if it get absorbed too much.